Monday, September 30, 2013

Apple Cider Vinegar to the Rescue


Shine bright like a diamond. 
 



Lean in a little closer; I have something important to tell you.


Ready?



Hair commercials lie. Crazy, I know.  





After having numerous conversations with my own twin sister, I’ve realized that people actually believe that silky paid programming hair exists passed the smoke and mirrors universe that is television commercials. You know the hair I’m referring to—the hair that not only bounces, but flounces; the kind that no matter the angle of the sun or the model’s perceived hair color, there is that perpetual golden halo present; the ones where red heads always have ringlet curls. Those commercials.




I know exactly two genetically gifted people with good hair and even theirs suck compared to the women in the TV commercials. What gives? Well, it's called Photoshop and it unfortunately has yet to be bottled and sold to the masses. 

Remember when Eminem said, “You want what you can’t have; Ooh girl that’s too damn bad?” It’s not too bad because I have a cheap solution towards the first step in achieving seemingly fake hair—and no it does not involve buying a wig.



So, if you’re a post grad girl on a budget and only can afford to use the grocery aisle crap or even if you’re a Free People wearing earthy-crunchy broad who craves natural remedies but still buys whatever your hairdresser tells you to, I have a solution for you on how to de-gunk your scalp of the buildup any hair product will deposit (regardless of its price) while also adding shine back into your hair.



Sheepishly I’ll tell you that when I’m not ripping open horribly packaged aluminum samples from my Birchbox subscription, I too buy my hair care products from CVS (and no, not in the expensive aisle) so it was important for me to find some sort of solution that undoes the damage cheap shampoo and conditioner cause. Best part, depending on what’s in your pantry, it’s free! Also, as if you needed any more incentive, Victoria's Secret Miranda Kerr swears by it.




The How-To:



Combine 2:1 water to Apple Cider Vinegar in a container, or 3:1 depending on the dryness of your hair. An empty spray bottle works best but I’ve used GladWare and soap dispensers too.





After you’ve washed out your shampoo, pour/spray the apple cider mixture over your head, particularly your scalp and massage into your roots. Warning, you will smell like a pastel-dyed Easter egg but the scent won’t last after your hair dries.



Let it sit for a few minutes: wash your face or shave your legs (especially if it’s a Friday), then wash it out as you would your regular conditioner.



As an extra step, I like to add a leave in conditioner spray, especially to my ends, then brush it through and let my hair air-dry.



Your hair will feel thinner (in the way it does after just getting a haircut) and will have that golden halo like in the TV commercials.



If you really want an extra boost, add a tiny bit of Moroccan oil after styling and you’ll be getting compliments all night.



I try to do this once a week or whenever I feel like my hair needs a little detox. This, like apple juice, apple cider, apple picking, and heck, Apple iOS7 too, is another way to incorporate apples into your autumn routine and is a guaranteed way to get you a few double takes during the early back to school weeks or when summer Fridays have officially deceased.





Let me know how it goes!



Pictured above:
Lipgloss: Stila long wear liquid lip color in Caprice
Lip liner: Sephora waterproof retractable lip liner in Raspberry


No comments:

Post a Comment