Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Few of My Favorite Things

In honor of that September 1 move date you’re still reveling in, I feel the need to take your mind off of both the Comcast guy whom never came and that half unpacked box of crap labeled “miscellaneous” that you more or less butchered the spelling of.




After spending over a year in my quaint Beacon Hill apartment, it was time to move on to bigger and better things (TBD). Here are a few pictures of my favorite spot from my little abode and some tips on how to add to the décor of your space by organizing your extra trinkets and things. This Carrie Bradshaw wannabe desk, more aptly dubbed my workspace, was easily the hardest part to pack up mostly in part due to the beautiful memories but also because everything was extremely fragile.






Though I spend much of my time working from my office (aka sitting on my bed while my laptop scorches the tops of my thighs), it’s always good to have an area to practice good posture and feel like a human. And here is where I introduce my desk, which has been utilized for anything and everything from a writing workshop (insert previous Carrie Bradshaw reference), to a hair salon, false eyelash extension lab and most importantly, my favorite makeup bar. I use a desk organizer to help compartmentalize my makeup which I'll show in a later post.






Because hanging your necklaces on a tacky necklace holder is both unappealing and unnerving to me (they tangle), I forewent a portion of my security deposit and made a wall dedicated to my neck bling. Tip: By grouping necklaces together by color and type, not only was deciding which one to wear easier, but it also helped me to experiment with layering and trying multiple necklaces at once.






Insert aforementioned tacky necklace holder, but instead used solely for drop earrings and ghetto hoops. The thing still bothers me but gets the job done. I would love any recommendations you may have on an alternative earring display method.




When you can’t afford stained glass but have a surplus of glass bottles, behold the perfect bracelet holder. Pick your favorite wine brands to display and look for bottles with long necks such as Rieslings or certain champagnes.  






Vintage and good scents: that’s like an oxymoron, right? I’m not sure how long this mirrored tray has been in my family but from the looks of it, I’m guessing since the beginning of steel. As you can see, your personal space can be built like an outfit by playing with similar colors, textures and layers. A tray is the perfect vehicle to hold all of your vintage knick-knacks because you can pile all sorts of jars and containers on without your windowsill or desk looking overly cluttered. The glass swan and Pandora’s box were my grandmother’s and though hidden, the box has the sweetest tufted cushion on the bottom. Both are perfect for rings and whatever I don’t want lost in my ‘everything drawer.’


And of course I’ve added the Veluspa Suede Blanc candle and a spare bottle of Coco Mademoiselle to freshen up the room. (I also think gold is having/ will always be having a moment.) The candle is divine—there’s really no other way to put it. It smells like you’re being hugged by a man from the pages of the Vogue September issue. It’s slightly musty and alluring and I love it.





My video editing headphones and proof that the Chanel monogrammed napkin does in fact exist (mentioned here).






If you’re trying to build a chic environment where aside from your wardrobe you still want to surround yourself with fashionable and non-wearable accessories, books are number one when adding personality to your space and will really never go out of style (forget about your iPad for a minute). I bought the Model as Muse and Fashion Show books from two amazing exhibits in New York and Boston and my sister generously gifted me the Karl Lagerfeld Parcours de Travail after going to his show in Paris. One of the books has warped slightly which has forced me to reconsider my money saving method of abstaining from hard covers. 




And finally, these are my four loves, or five if you include black and white things. The top picture is of Alfred Hitchcock that I have to always remind me of my film background. The next is a selfie of my boyfriend and I from our trip to the Cape last summer. The third item is an ode to my hoarding of all Chanel paraphernalia, hence the amount of bags and boxes scattered throughout my apartment. And the fourth semi hidden item is my other love of family hand-me-downs, a vintage Fendi wallet.


Hope your unpacking and reorganizing goes as seamlessly as physically possible! 


No comments:

Post a Comment