Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Regrets


I did something stupid.








About three years ago I bought a strikingly gorgeous black-cropped kimono with ivory embroidered lilies and perfectly knotted tassels. We were in love, a silken love, but then I broke his heart and returned him.



It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done.



Like a bad boyfriend, I couldn’t get my friends' approval of the little Asian jacket. Was it my preference of opting for a dark, and dare I say it, morbid color, compared to the seemingly endless sea of pastel Lily Pulitzer dresses I was engulfed by? Because you know what they say about black… Did the tassels that gently hung from the bottom seam that tenderly sashayed as I faked a saunter offend my friends? Or was it the shear nature of a kimono-like-shrug, halfway between a blazer and a blanket that they had yet to wrap their heads around?



It was everything and nothing at the same time. Sometimes you just can’t explain distaste and incompatibility.



I did what they thought was right and ended the love affair, bringing my kimono back to that North Carolina mall where we met. And while that saved money did go to something outwardly “more important” like a hungover brunch or few 5 for $25’s at Victoria’s Secret (kidding, that was pretty important), I still think back and wonder what life would have been like if I followed my heart and stood up for love.



Buyer’s remorse; it’s a thing people. So even though your friends may know you best and you should listen to them 86% of the time, that 14% is duly reserved for situations like this.



So next time you’re doodling in your notebook with a faux Novocain-induced smile—half drooling and daydreaming about that perfect item you wish you bought, doggonit, go out and get it because as many Instagram regrams and semi-spiritual friends will tell you, you’ll only regret the stuff you didn’t do… or something like that.




I’ve put together a few inspirational pics of this summer staple for you all to fall head over kimono heels for and realize the jacket's awesome versatility with the now chillier pre-fall nights. 


 
Pucci SS'13

Prada SS'13
 
Etro SS'13
 
Etro SS'13
 
TheThreadScene.com


For you to jump on the bandwagon, check out this black widow reminiscent piece from Spell & the Gypsy Collective or this long long sleeve one from Haider Ackermann, now on sale but still starkly out of my price range. If a more formfitting jacket is your forté, Topshop has a beautifully embroidered bomber, similar to what I imagine a fabulous Chinese high schooler's letterman would look like.



No comments:

Post a Comment